I love summer weather – BBQs, sunshine and a laid back festival fashion vibe all make me seriously happy. I even woke up to Radio One playing Will Smith’s summertime on Wednesday. Is there a better way to get your day cracking off to a happy start then that? NO.
Or maybe there is. Because the one thing I don’t love about the heat is feeling sticky and sweaty and disgusting in my bed. Yuck.
Fortunately I had lots of chances this week to test out some ultimate solutions to summer-related sleeplessness – here are some of the more effective!
1. Stick to frozen sheets: Don’t be tempted to strip the bed completely – the heat you feel is actually from what you sleep on, not the cover you use. A nice cool cotton will keep moisture from the skin and stop the horrible clamminess that drives us all crazy.
Stick it in the freezer for half an hour first and we promise you, bedtime will be delicious!
2. Try not to drink too much: Of both alcohol and water. It’s so easy to sit in the garden all night drinking Pimms but drunken sleep in hot weather is not a nice combination – helloooooo nightmares.
Too much water and you risk twenty trips a night to pee. Ace. Leave it half an hour to an hour before bed.
3. No cold showers: I know how tempting it is but I promise you, it will simply wake you up. Tepid is best to soothe you down comfortably.
4. Heat rises, so get yourself down! Downstairs, on the floor – anywhere a little more comfortable then a sweaty, airless bedroom!
5. Go misty eyed: A great spritz, kept in the fridge all day is a brilliant quick coolant.
6. Lick your wrists: I don’t know why, I don’t know how, but it works. Just trust me.
7. Create a circulating breeze: Air fans pointed opposite open windows (if it is safe) are a great way to get stale, steaming air moving around the room. If you are on the ground floor just point two fans at each other from across the room.
8. Chill out: Try this blooming marvellous invention, the Chillow – love it!
9. Fool yourself its cold: I love an app called Sleep Machine (available at the ITunes Store) for this. It’s a set of sounds that you can programme to play all night. I like the rain, thunder and beach combination. Simply plug in your headphones, pull on a blindfold and persuade yourself you live in a cool, soothing hut by the sea….ahhhhh…
10. Take a chill pill: If you are getting stressed with the lack of sleep, try a supplement like Valerian an hour before bed to soothe your shattered nerves a bit. I am a big fan of Dr Stuarts Valerian Tea to settle me down, and tea believe it or not is also great for those feeling a bit hot!